Here at Totally Horse & Pony Magazine, we welcome the start of the clipping season with the same enthusiasm as we welcome a migraine – with dread. It’s definitely not our favourite pastime for a variety of reasons not least wobbly lines, wiggly horses and hair, oh the hair!
So, to ease our way into it this year, we invested in a set of new clippers – the Masterclip Hunter clippers retailing at £189. From the start they made a great job of the clipping. They are quite noisy and our nervous mare wasn’t going to let them anywhere near her head, so much so that as we neared the ears she reared up and stepped on the cable shearing right through it and obviously causing the clippers to cut out instantly. Fortunately, the clip was 95% complete, but what to do with our brand new clippers whose cable sadly had not withstood the weight of the horse?
A phone call to Masterclip and an explanation of the dilemma and our Hunter clippers were soon winging their way back to their origins to be replaced by the HD Roamer – a cordless set £229.99. Simple to use, the battery pack (of which there are two in the pack – great if the first runs out of power half way through a clip) simply clicks into the base of the unit and is surprisingly nimble to use. With its A2 toughened steel 1.5mm blades (same as the Hunter clippers) it also made a great job of the clip, but this time with no worries about the cable getting damaged.
We did notice that despite oiling the clippers every few minutes as per the instructions, they did get hot quite quickly, however they also cooled down quickly too, and whilst we waited we got cracking with the Showmate cordless trimmers £59.99. These are so quiet and easy to use that our fretful mare soon relaxed and joy of joy, we managed to clip almost up to her ears , under her chin and along the bridle line. These trimmers certainly exceeded our expectations and made the final job far more professional than we have been able to achieve in the past with other makes and models.
The Masterclip HD Roamer £229.99
- Heavy duty cordless horse clipper
- Comes with 1 set of premium A2 toughened steel 1.5mm blades
- Sharper cutting edges that are harder wearing and longer lasting
- Fast cutting speed of 2300RPM
- Suitable for any coat type
- Comes with two Li-ion rechargeable batteries
- Run time approximately 2 hours per battery
- Battery neatly stored in the handset, no trailing cables
- Includes charging unit
- Weight: 1.2Kg
- Ideal for yards with no power
- Free 100ml bottle of clipper oil
- Comes in a smart sturdy silver carry case
- Compatible with Lister A2 blades
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY
Masterclip Showmate Cordless Trimmer £59.99
- 2 rechargeable batteries
- up to 1 hour clip time per battery
- Charger included
- Ceramic and titanium blade
- Ideal for all year round trimming and show prep
- Very quiet, perfect for the nervous horse
- Suitable for light to medium density coats
- Comes in a smart sturdy aluminium style carry case
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY