If you thought a horse’s ears were just for hearing with – you’d be mistaken! They are a window into his mind – and if you can read his ears you’re well on the way to reading his thoughts!
- Interest in his surroundings -he’s spotted something and is focussing on it
- I’m on alert
- Saying hello!
One ear back
- I’m listening to my rider but am also aware of my surroundings
- I’m paying attention to something behind me
- I’m thinking
Both ears cocked back
- I’m curious about this – I’ll touch it with my nose but I’m listening behind too
- I’m listening to my rider
Both ears pinned back
- I’m not happy about that
- Go away
- I’m getting angry
Ears flat back
- Watch out – I’m really angry and likely to react
- Final warning – don’t push me!
Ears twitching about
- I’m not certain about this – I may make a move
- What’s going on – I’m considering
- Chilled out!